Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Studio buys movie script from a Chimp


I work for a movie studio somewhere in Hollywood. I would tell you which one but some people involve in the story I’m about to tell you would not be happy about this kind of press. It was my first month on the job I was still learning all the ropes at the studio, when the head of the company rushed into the boardroom with a huge grin on his face. This was a strange look for him because before this I’ve only ever seen him scowl. “I’ve found it. I’ve found it!” The head of the company, let’s call him Mr. Company, announced to the boardroom. We were all called in at the last minutes and now we knew why. In Mr. Company’s hand was what appeared to be a script. We spend night and day trying to find the next big blockbuster and it seems as if that’s exactly what Mr. Company did. “We must buy this immediately!”
            “Wait, aren’t you going to let the rest of us read it? Besides, how much money are you talking about?” One of the executives asked not wanting to spend millions of dollars on something that only one man thought would sell.
            “Of course, of course but I don’t want to wait too long. What if someone else snatches this up before we do?” Mr. Company began to wring his hands together at a increasing speeded the longer it took of everyone to read. I was finally allow to read last as everyone around be was agreeing with Mr. Company’s decision to buy the script. Once I was finished reading I also agreed with the decision to by the script and the amount everyone seemed to agree on was five million but if the writer asked for more they were willing to go up to fifteen million to get the rights of the script. Plans were made to go meet this writer by contacting his agent. I was able to go as this was the first script I would witness being acquired by the studio. We all made our guess at what Mont Key would be like. Everyone agreed he had to be sophisticated, smart and gorgeous.
            We were all wrong. The address given to use by the agent was of all things the city zoo. We all believed it had to be a mistake. It turned out not to be. The agent was there waiting for us. She took us over to meet Mont Key who turned out to be a Chimp. Mont Key was actually a Mont Key. Unfortunately, by the time we met Mont Key the deal of buying the script was complete. However, still to this day Mont Key’s script was the best thing I’ve ever read though he’s never written anything since. No one at the studio would ever admit to this and as they changed the name of the written on the script, no one will ever know which movie was written by a chimp named Mont Key.

No comments:

Post a Comment